Thursday

Peppermint Chocolate Cherry Almond Bark


Who doesn't love chocolate.. and what better, than to make it and give it away as gifts! In 
my home it's a tradition to start our baking when the kids have Thanksgiving break. This week
our youngest was off earlier than usual so here we are, celebrating mom and daughter time and looking forward to the holidays with Peppermint Chocolate Cherry Almond Bark. 


This is the easiest candy to make.. you don't even need a candy thermometer, which I love. Every year when I pull mine out to use, it's either broken or just not calculating the correct temperature. So voila!! No stress about running out to grab a thermometer.. this time! While I have a link to Callebaut chocolates, you can use another good quality chocolate, I think Ghirardelli Chocolates are yummy too. Quite a few years ago I was fortunate enough to find this chocolate in a local candy making store and I fell in love with the taste and texture. Oh my.. it's so buttery and smooth! I hope you enjoy.. Buon Appetito and Happy Holidays!!

Ingredients
1 block good quality dark chocolate (minus a few extra squares)
1 block good quality milk chocolate (minus a few extra squares)
* a few extra squares of chocolate for tempering
1 cup white chocolate nibs or chips
2 tsp. solid coconut oil (you can use vegetable oil also)
1 cup crushed peppermint candies
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup dried cherries
Offset spatula
Baking sheet covered with parchment paper
Wooden skewer or knife


Directions
1. In a heat proof bowl, add your white chocolate nibs and 1 tsp. of coconut oil. Heat for 1 minute in microwave oven. Stir and heat again for 30 seconds. Stir again and it should be ready.
2. On the stove top in a heavy duty pan, add 1 tsp. of coconut oil and all but a few blocks of the dark and milk chocolate. *The saved chocolate will be used for tempering. Heat on medium low heat so the chocolate melts slowly without it scorching.
3. When chocolate is melted, take it off the heat and add a few of the extra chocolate squares.
Stir till incorporated.
4. On prepared baking sheet, pour your dark/milk chocolate blend onto the paper. With the offset spatula smooth it out across the paper to fill the parchment.
5. With a spoon, drizzle the white chocolate horizontally across the dark chocolate to create lines.
((Pictured below))
6. With your skewer or knife, run up and down through the white and dark chocolates to create the swirl pattern. ((Pictured below))
7. Sprinkle Peppermint candies, dried cherries and chopped almonds on top.
8. Chill in refrigerator till firm. Cut diagonally or in long strips, or for a rough look, break into pieces. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. 



Quite a few years ago I was fortunate enough to find Callebaut Chocolate in a local candy 
making store, and I fell in love with the taste and texture. 

   Pour the white chocolate horizontally across the dark chocolate to create lines. 
   With your skewer or knife, run up and down through the white and dark chocolates to       create the swirl pattern.



















































7 comments:

  1. wow- this looks and sounds so good! Beautiful pictures!! alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bark looks absolutely beautiful Laurie as well as your beautiful daughter, and I just love your photography. I need to learn more about composition, love the way you do it! xox marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I will try this...I don't make anything that requires a thermometer...ugh...never a goes right with me either. Love the image of your daughter on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my holiday goodness!!! Laurie, your photos are simply stunning! So beautifully styled and ready for some holiday magazine issue.
    We have bark on our list too. An early holiday for us is next friday, and I'm working on my menu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so gooood it makes you wanna eat them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire how you present your delicious recipe. Aside from the fact that I love chocolate recipes, I do love your images too! Especially the cute girl wearing red dress. When it comes to your recipe, I love to know that you're using coconut oil as one of your main ingredients. Will definitely try this recipe so I can have have a giveaway this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post. I love your shots of the chocolate. In fact all is looking good. Believe it or not I never made bark but always wanted to/

    ReplyDelete