Friday

Colored Sugar Shapes



This isn't my first post about sugar shapes, in 2008 I also wrote about these wonderful sugar creations that are SO easy and quick to make. I actually have to give the credit for this batch to my 8 year old daughter who was so excited about playing in the color stained water and filling the candy molds. I was happy to have her help.. because at this point I was more interested in clicking away with my camera and getting some pretty photo's.

I wasn't just shooting for Dalla Mia Cucina this time around, Simone from Jungle Frog Cooking is a professional Food Photographer who periodically has food photo challenges on her blog. I thought it would be fun to join in THIS particular one, themed on the use of "white". My experience with shooting all white has usually left me with burned and over exposed images. Even this time around, the light in my studio wasn't "all that", and I had the wrong bulbs in my lamp stands (which cast a yellow light) so I went "tout naturel" and upped my exposure trying to eliminate the shadows. Oh how I HATE shadows! :)

I usually use my 24 -70 mm lens f2.8, but I knew I was going to need as much light as possible filtering in, so I used my 50mm f1.4 lens. Other than having a smaller cropping area to play with, it was a pretty good choice. Hope you enjoy the photo's.. and the Sugar Shapes!! 


Colored Sugar Shapes

This is an easy and elegant way to serve sugar at your holiday or everyday table. My children and I started making these a few years ago and now regularly enjoy these shaped and colorful cubes for our coffee and tea. With holiday dinners and family gatherings just around the corner definitely make time for this easy preparation.


Ingredients
Sugar
Food Coloring *
Water
Candy or Chocolate Molds


 Instructions
Color your water to desired shades.
Add 2 teaspoons of water to 1 cup of sugar, combine until it's the consistency of wet sand.
Pack moistened sugar into plastic mold trays (with shapes 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide available at Joanns Fabrics & Crafts or kitchen-supply stores).
Scrape level with a spatula. Let harden.
Turn plastic molds over gently on cookie sheet, they should release easily.
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.




* My son came up with an alternative to colored water. He places colored sugar crystals (sold in craft stores) on the bottom of the plastic molds before he adds un-colored sugar. This also lends to a very beautiful display!

Enjoy and Buon Appetito!
Laurie

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! I've never seen these before!! Love the site, Laurie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, thank you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these photos are so inspiring! I usually stay away from whites as I feel they look plain but the tones in yours are so far from that! I'm going to have to give them another go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I’m Sonia, italian food blogger sorry for my bad english, I want tell you that I have included the link of this recipe (which I liked very much) in the section on my blog dedicated to “10 ways to make” (“10 Modi di Fare”) sugar shapes.
    The post is 'Zollette di zucchero' I hope not to bother you, have a nice day.
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  5. So easy ! Who would have thought ? Bravo and thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amei, mas onde poso encontrar essas forminhas com motivos marinhos?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks charming. I wonder if they come in with low calorie sweeteners, too? I'll be having a tea party and I guess this would look amazing in the china.

    ReplyDelete