Tuesday

Chunky Applesauce


Apple season just ended and we had a wonderful crop from our tree this year! Cinnamon and spice and everything nice has permeated throughout the house with apple fare filling the cupboards and dessert trays. Now, thoughts of holiday foods and family gatherings coming up in just in a few weeks!



This is a simple crock pot applesauce recipe that makes such a yummy, low sugar, chunky monkey type of sauce! Every slow cooker heats differently, so you decide how long you cook your apple sauce for. The original recipe I read said 4 hours for a saucy sauce, but I found that 3 hours gave me some chunky pieces which I prefer.

My apple tree produces a Fuji Apple, but I also added Red Delicious apples to cut down on the sugar addition. Plus, my previous batch of apple butter took a lot more apples than I expected.
For a completely sugar free apple sauce, find out from your produce man what the sweetest apples are for the season!! 

Yield: 3 ~ 16 oz Jars

Prep Time: 45 minutes to an hour (unless you have a rotary apple peeler)

Cook Time: 3-4 hours

INGREDIENTS

A mix of 6 pounds Fuji and Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks. 
1/4 cup light brown sugar (if needed)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in the Crock Pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours. 
2. For chunky applesauce as pictured, stir and mash the apples with a large spoon close to the end of the cook time.  Store applesauce in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or freeze in freezer jars for up to 6 months.
Enjoy!! 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment